Sneak Peek: What Went Down on our LA Buying Trip
Posted on 14 August 2017
It’s all about you. Customers and friends often ask me how I select which brands to carry, and the answer starts with them. I listen to what she (the customer) wants every time she’s in the store, trying on clothes (or shopping online!), and the recurring theme is fashion that’s affordable.
While most people associate boutique shopping with high prices (here is an overview of why our prices can be high), we do our best to meet our customer’s needs. So, it’s about finding that sweet spot: quality garments that meet my ethical standards (read more here) at a price point that won’t break the bank. Then, it’s going out and searching for styles that are available within these parameters. Often, this includes researching online and scouring Instagram, prior to going to market. It also involves building an aesthetic around aspirational brands, for instance Free People, that she loves.
In addition to producing high-quality, responsibly-made garments, I am also always interested to know the story behind a potential new brand—learning about the designers, where they are based, how they came up with a concept, how they give back, etc. These factors all help determine whether a collection joins the PRIM family. Another thing many customers don’t realize is the exclusivity factor. The appeal of shopping small at a local boutique is that most items you won’t be able to find at a department store—or within a 10-mile radius.
Finally, we try everything on and take as many notes as possible to test quality and fit before samples go into production. We give our honest opinions to improve styles for our customers. By establishing relationships with showrooms, we’ve actually been surprised lately when they remember our criteria and contact us with all-new products that meet our standards! They'll even listen to our feedback and make changes or create a design to fit our clients' wants and needs.
On our latest buying trip, last week in Los Angeles, we selected some immediate new arrivals to cater to our clients’ recent requests, as well as holiday women’s apparel and children’s Spring-Summer ‘18 pieces. While this trip was majority a kids’ buying trip, we listened to what all our customers were asking for and sought out to find it. Here’s a sneak peek at some exciting things in store (soon!):
- If it isn’t already, POP will soon be your go-to gifting destination, thanks to even more baby shower–approved essentials
- Let's hear it for the boys! We will soon be introducing new boys styles from a new brand, Hoonana and Hartley
- New styles for newborns from North of West, Tiny Twig and many more
- In addition to more prints of Kickee Pants’ beloved super-soft onesies, we’ll soon be carrying matching PJ sets for mommies—great for post-pregnancy and maternity gifts!
- Are you ready for this? Rylee & Cru, one of our favorite ethical children’s clothing line, is launching adult apparel! And it is INSANE, perfect for PRIM babes and IN STORES NOW! Shop the entire collection here.
XO PRIM babes,